This device implements a mesh network. Conceivable applications include distributed environmental sensing, household monitoring and any other space where many small sensor nodes are required. The current use case being explored is circuit-breaker panel monitoring using GMR magnetic sensors to measure current flow to household loads. The current range test yields 175m with a 38.4K serial link and Atmel’s Lightweight Mesh software stack.
The radio board features:
- 7.5 x 7.5mm
- ZigBee – compatible 2.4Ghz RF tranceiver (integrated)
- Atmel AtMega2564RFR2 8-bit MCU core
- 5xADC channels, SPI, I2C, UART, JTAG interface
- Professor Paul K. Wright
- Professor Richard M. White
- Professor Igor Paprotny (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Qiliang (Richard) Xu
- Rafael Send
- R. Send, Q. R. Xu, I. Paprotny, R. M. White, and P. K. Wright, “Granular Radio EnErgy-sensing Node ( GREEN ): A 0 . 56 cm^3 wireless stick-on node for non-intrusive energy monitoring,” pp. 3–6.